The ORU Library subscribes to several ebook collections that provide access to more than 200,000 ebooks. Ebooks are unique titles, not merely digitized versions of print books in the library. To find and access ebooks, search an ebook database, such as Ebook Central or Ebook Collections, or search the catalog.
In the opens new window Library catalog, select Ebooks under the View Entire Collection drop menu. Key in a search. In the list of your results, click an ebook title to access the detailed record. Click the View content of ...E-Book link, or similar (shown below) to go to ebook full text.
Copyright rules and "Fair Use" apply to ebooks. Therefore, ebook databases set limits on the number of pages that may be printed or copied.
Ebook Central (ProQuest)
- Ebook Centralopens new window This link opens in a new window
More than 156,000 authoritative, academic ebooks in a wide range of subject areas.
-opens new window Ebook Central User Guide
- opens new window EbookCentral Quick Start Guide
ProQuest Training Videos:
- opens new windowEbook Central Overview and searching (YouTube, 3:20 mins.)
- opens new windowEbook Central Reader (Video, YouTube, 3:34 mins)
Create a personal Bookshelf.
Use your ORU single-sign on (Network login) to save, highlight, and write notes in your selected ebook. A citation tool is provide, but it creates citation for an entire folder, not just "marked" items.
View 20 chapter results from the most relevant books.
Click the Chapter Results tab above your search results.
Redefine your results.
Click on a title. Click Show more in the right menu under Bibliographic Info. Click LC Subject Heading(s), LC Call Number, or BISAC Subject Heading(s), if options are available.
Identify and search a call number or Subject Heading.
Go to the opens new window Library of Congress Classification Outline and drill down through the subjects. Or, search the library catalog and note call numbers or subject for books in your area of interest. In Ebook Central Advanced Search, select LC Subject Heading or LC Call Number in the drop menu. Enter the call number or subject heading. Click Search.
Note: In addition to LC Subject Headings, Ebook Central also uses opens new windowBISAC Subject Headings. See: opens new windowComplete BISAC Subject Heading List, 2017 Edition .
eBook Collection (EBSCOhost)
- eBook Collection (EBSCOhost) opens new window This link opens in a new window
opens new windoweBook Collection
A multidisciplinary collection of ~13,600 full-text ebooks, including titles in the Christian Libraries Collections. DRM-free full ebook downloads. (No special software needed for downloads.) Smartphone friendly: View ebook full text in the mobile web browser. Note: Viewing is restricted to 1-5 simultaneous readers.
-opens new windowSearching EBSCO eBooks - Tutorial (YouTube, 1:36 mins.)
-opens new windowDownloading EBSCO eBooks - Tutorial (YouTube, 2:45 mins.)
-opens new windowEBSCO eBooks App - Overview Tutorial (YouTube, 2:03 mins.)
-opens new windowEBSCO eBooks - User Guides
opens new windowProject Gutenberg offers more than 56,000 free ebooks to download. No fee or registration is required. Books are available in many languages
opens new windowTaped-In: Project Gutenberg ebooks (YouTube, 1:13 mins.) - A brief overview of content, downloading, and searching.
Other Selected ebook Databases
- opens new windowBook Collection: Nonfiction - Elementary School Edition - Full-text nonfiction ebooks designed for elementary school libraries; topics include animals, weather, holidays, sports, Native Americans, United States, biographies, nature, and more
- opens new windowBook Collection: Nonfiction - High School Edition - A cross-curricular resource with searchable full-text on titles covering topics such as careers, health, life skills, ethnicity, disabilities, sports, technology, biographies, music, history, science, and more.
- opens new windowBook Collection: Nonfiction - Middle School Edition - A cross-curricular resource with searchable full-text on titles covering history, science, sports, adventure, disabilities, health, technology, and more.
- opens new windowOvid eBooks - 19 full-text ebooks related to nursing and the nursing profession.
- opens new windowDigital Karl Barth Library - Provided by Princeton Theological seminary and Theologischer Verlag Zurich; researchers can cross-search among all Barth's works. Results can be viewed, organized, and analyzed.
- opens new windowTwentieth Century Religious Thought - A multivolume, cross-searchable online collection that brings together the seminal works and archival materials related to worldwide religious thinkers from the early 1900s until the first decade of the 21st century. This resource represents voices from Christianity, Judaism, and Islam featuring significant thinkers of history.