What is the Teach Act?
The “Technology, Education, and Copyright Harmonization Act” (TEACH Act):
- Provides educators more opportunity for the use of copyrighted works in distance education programs
- Offers adequate copyright protection to those works.
In order to qualify educators must meet these requirements:
- Be an accredited, non-profit educational institution
- Have copyright policies and must post a copyright notice on online course materials
- Have technological measures in place to support compliance with TEACH Act requirements
- Must be for a "mediated instructional activity"
- Must be limited to students enrolled in the class
- Must be used in live or asynchronous class sessions
- May not include textbook materials "typically acquired or purchased by students"
- Only "reasonable portions" of the original work may be used
For a more detailed explanation and definitions of terms, see Copyright Crash Course .