Biblical Books in Canonical Order
- 1-2 Samuel
- 1-2 Kings
- 1-2 Chronicles
- Song of Solomon
- 1-2 Corinthians
- 1-2 Thessalonians
- 1-2 Timothy
- 1-2 Peter
- 1, 2, 3 John
- 1-2 Maccabees
- Wisdom of Solomon
- Additions to Esther and Daniel and Letter of Jeremiah
- 1-2 Esdras
- 3-4 Maccabees
Other Research Guides Related to the Bible
Bible Commentaries Plus -- Guide Contents
This LibGuide is designed to raise awareness of the many Bible commentaries available in the ORU Library. The commentaries listed have been selected as starting points for doing research on the various books and sections of the Bible. Other works such as introductions, critical and interpretative works, and theological studies related to a book or section of the Bible are listed separately in boxes labeled, "More on...". For further guidance in selecting commentaries, check out the resources listed in the Resources for Bible Evaluating Commentaries box to the right. Guest researchers who do not have access to ORU's restricted resources may wish to try the Open Access Bible Commentaries Quick Search (see box below).
- Whole Bible: Books of the Bible in Canonical Order - Selected Bible commentaries - More on the Bible - Bibliographies of historical commentaries - Open access Bible commentaries - Bible studies journals
- Historical Books: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther
- Minor Prophets: Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habukkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
- Pauline Epistles: Romans, 1-2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1-2 Thessalonians, 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon
- Apocrypha: Tobit, Judith, 1-2 Maccabees, Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach/Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Additions to Esther and Daniel and the Letter of Jeremiah, 1-2 Esdras, 3-4 Maccabees
- Bible Commentary Series: alphabetical list of Bible commentaries series linked to the library catalog
- Library of Congress Classification: table of the books of the Bible, each linked to the library catalog via its own Library of Congress classification number
- Journals: Bible - selected journals - selected Old Testament journals - selected New Testament journals
- Other Related Resources: Selected Web resources related to Biblical studies - Online Bibles - Biblical languages - Ancient Versions of the Bible - Interlinears
To recommend a commentary to add to this LibGuide or to add to the ORU Library collection, please contact Sally Shelton.
Open Access Bible Commentaries ~ Quick Search
Use the quick search below to search open access Bible commentaries from such popular Web sites as biblegateway.com, biblehub.com, biblestudytools.com, blueletterbible.org, and studylight.org including many titles on this annotated list created by librarian Seth Allen.
One way to focus a search is to add a commentator's name. For example, to find what Robertson says about the Greek word charis, key in the words: charis Robertson. Hebrew and Greek words may be searched in Hebrew or Greek, e.g. עַלְמָה, πνεῦμα, or by transliteration, e.g. alma, pneuma.
Caveat: though professors typically prefer not to see citations to open access commentaries in bibliographies of research papers if they are dated or otherwise do not meet expected scholarly norms, these resources are useful for quick reference, provided they are used circumspectly.
To access the Open Access Bible Commentaries Quick Search web page, go to https://cse.google.com:443/cse/publicurl?cx=018443097211386924752:tvj-ul1hyow.
Resources for Evaluating Bible Commentaries
Opinions as to the relative value of the various Bible commentaries vary widely among biblical scholars. Students may wish to consult with their professors as to their particular preferences. The following works may be consulted for further guidance in the selection of commentaries. The use of technical commentaries is typically more difficult for those who do not know the biblical languages.
4th ed. in print: BS1151.52.L64 2007 LRC-4