Biblical Books in Canonical Order
- 1-2 Samuel
- 1-2 Kings
- 1-2 Chronicles
- Song of Solomon
- 1-2 Corinthians
- 1-2 Thessalonians
- 1-2 Timothy
- 1-2 Peter
- 1, 2, 3 John
- 1-2 Maccabees
- Wisdom of Solomon
- Additions to Esther and Daniel and Letter of Jeremiah
- 1-2 Esdras
- 3-4 Maccabees
Other Research Guides Related to the Bible
Bible Commentaries Plus -- Guide Contents
This LibGuide is designed to raise awareness of the many Bible commentaries available in the ORU Library. The commentaries listed have been selected as starting points for doing research on the various books and sections of the Bible. Other works such as introductions, critical and interpretative works, and theological studies related to a book or section of the Bible are listed separately in boxes labeled, "More on...". For further guidance in selecting commentaries, check out the resources listed in the Resources for Bible Evaluating Commentaries box on this page. Guest researchers who do not have access to ORU's restricted resources may wish to try the Open Access Bible Commentaries Quick Search.
- Whole Bible: Books of the Bible in Canonical Order - Selected Bible commentaries - More on the Bible - Open access Bible commentaries - Bible studies journals
- Historical Books: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1-2 Samuel, 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther
- Minor Prophets: Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habukkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi
- Pauline Epistles: Romans, 1-2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1-2 Thessalonians, 1-2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon
- Apocrypha: Tobit, Judith, 1-2 Maccabees, Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach/Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, Additions to Esther and Daniel and the Letter of Jeremiah, 1-2 Esdras, 3-4 Maccabees
- Bible Commentary Series: alphabetical list of Bible commentaries series linked to the library catalog
- Library of Congress Classification: table of the books of the Bible, each linked to the library catalog via its own Library of Congress classification number
- Journals: Bible - selected journals - selected Old Testament journals - selected New Testament journals
- Other Related Resources: Selected Web resources related to Biblical studies - Online Bibles - Biblical languages - Ancient Versions of the Bible - Interlinears
To recommend a commentary to add to this LibGuide or to add to the ORU Library collection, please contact Sally Shelton.
Open Access Bible Commentaries ~ Quick Search
Use the quick search below to search open access Bible commentaries from such popular Web sites as biblegateway.com, biblehub.com, biblestudytools.com, blueletterbible.org, and studylight.org.
Included in the search are Bible commentaries, dictionaries and encyclopedias, and word studies by such authors/editors as Barclay, Calvin, Gaebelein, Matthew Henry, Jamieson-Fausset-Brown, Keil and Delitsch, Lightfoot, Robertson, Spurgeon, Vincent, Wesley, and others. Many of the titles in the annotated list created by Seth Allen are searchable in this custom search engine.
In performing a search, you may add a commentator's name to focus your results. For example, to find what Robertson says about the Greek word charis (grace), key in the words: charis Robertson. Hebrew and Greek words may be searched in Hebrew or Greek, e.g. עַלְמָה, πνεῦμα, or by transliteration, e.g. alma, pneuma.
Note: though professors typically prefer not to see citations to open access commentaries in research papers as many are dated or otherwise do not meet expected scholarly norms, these resources may be beneficial for quick reference and for devotional use, provided they are used circumspectly.
To access the Open Access Bible Commentaries Quick Search web page, go to https://www.google.com:443/cse/publicurl?cx=018443097211386924752:tvj-ul1hyow.